COLUMBIA — The MU Student Recreational Complex schedules dozens of activities each semester, from TigerX classes to intramural sports.
The RecSports website highlights a number of new or improved facilities in 2012. Unrelated construction closed the sand volleyball courts during the 2011-12 school year, but the courts are again open. Leagues will form in two additional sports — racquetball and badminton.
Sand and indoor volleyball leagues return on the new courts, along with flag football, inner tube water polo, table tennis, Frisbee, swimming, basketball and soccer.
RecSports coordinator Joe Sloan sees recreational sports as a great way to relieve stress and the time commitment of classes and work.
"It's a fun time to be able to get away from class and be with friends," Sloan said. "It's not much of a time commitment. It's really low key for what they get out of it and the benefits, the stress relief, the fun and making new friends."
Several leagues are available within each sport including coed, men's open, women's open, men's Greek and women's Greek.
Prices will increase this year to accommodate longer seasons, which will almost double in some sports. In the offseasons, double-elimination tournaments will make an appearance to get more people to get involved.
When signing up for sports, participants need to visit the MU rec complex to sign up before being able to gain access to league schedules online.
"It's a study break," Sloan said. "It's fun recreation."
Intramural sports offered Fall 2012
- Flag Football — $149 per team
- Sand Volleyball — $89 per team
- Indoor Volleyball — $149 per team
- Racquetball — $5 for singles and $10 for doubles
- Table Tennis — $5 for singles and $10 for doubles
- Washers — $5 for singles and $10 for doubles
- Badminton — $5 for singles and $10 for doubles
- Inner Tube Water Polo — $59 per team
- Ultimate Frisbee — $29 per team
- Swim Meet — $5 per entry
- 3-on-3 Basketball — $29 per team
- 3-on-3 Soccer — $29 per team