COLUMBIA — A dog died in a house fire Tuesday afternoon at a home at 711 W. Worley St.
No one was inside the home during the blaze, Columbia Fire Department Battalion Chief James Weaver said. Damage to the structure was estimated at $90,000, a news release from the Fire Department said.
A passerby reported the fire to the Fire Department. The homeowner arrived shortly after the fire was controlled.
The department saw smoke from downtown when firefighters were dispatched at 3:13 p.m. They arrived at the home four minutes later. The fire, which was well underway when crews arrived, was controlled by 3:23 p.m.
The fire began towards the back of the home and spread through the structure. Service lines connecting power to the house were damaged by the fire and fell into the driveway. The live wires, which were on the right side of the house, forced firefighters to enter the home on the opposite side.
Columbia Water and Light was called to disconnect power to the home. Though firefighters were able to determine that the fire started at a wooden desk near the rear of the structure, they were unsure of its cause, the release said.
The home was deemed unlivable.
Supervising editor is Ann Elise Taylor.