COLUMBIA — A malfunctioning electrical disconnect to an air conditioning unit sparked a fire at Head Start Early Child Development late Sunday afternoon.
The Columbia Fire Department responded at 5:51 p.m. to activated fire alarms at 1402 Worley Street. Upon arrival, they reported smoke issuing from the building's air conditioning unit.
The crew followed the smoke into the building to the mechanical room, where an active fire was burning. That fire was extinguished, as was a hidden fire that had extended into the attic through a chase in the wall.
The building was unoccupied at the time of the blaze. No injuries were reported, according to a news release from the fire department.
The release also stated Assistant Fire Marshal Tim Bach issued a damage estimate of $50,000.
Supervising editor is Hannah Cushman.