Fire causes estimated $50,000 in damage at day care building

Monday, July 16, 2012 | 12:13 p.m. CDT; updated 2:10 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 17, 2012

COLUMBIA — A malfunctioning electrical disconnect to an air conditioning unit sparked a fire at Head Start Early Child Development late Sunday afternoon. 

The Columbia Fire Department responded at 5:51 p.m. to activated fire alarms at 1402 Worley Street. Upon arrival, they reported smoke issuing from the building's air conditioning unit.

The crew followed the smoke into the building to the mechanical room, where an active fire was burning. That fire was extinguished, as was a hidden fire that had extended into the attic through a chase in the wall.

The building was unoccupied at the time of the blaze. No injuries were reported, according to a news release from the fire department.

The release also stated Assistant Fire Marshal Tim Bach issued a damage estimate of $50,000.

Supervising editor is Hannah Cushman.

View Larger Map

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.