advertisement

Stove fire at Links apartment complex causes estimated $10,000 damage

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 | 3:33 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — Extreme amounts of smoke caused neighbors at The Links at Columbia apartment complex to call the fire department at 2 a.m. Tuesday. 

Fire Battalion Chief James Weaver said firefighters entered the apartment at 5028 Clark Lane and found it full of smoke. The fire was put out with a small amount of water. 

Weaver said the fire was caused by cardboard boxes left on top of a stove. The stove was accidentally switched on without the tenant's knowledge. The tenants were in the process of moving and were not home at the time.

Damage has been estimated at $10,000, with no injuries reported. Three quints, a ladder truck, a squad and two chief officers all responded to the call. Weaver said this is standard protocol for a structure fire.

The fire was controlled and doused within a matter of minutes. Smoking alarms were sounding in the apartment when firefighters arrived. 

The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives. The department will provide smoke alarms for free to residents who cannot afford to buy them. To get free smoke alarms installed, call 874-7556.

Supervising editor is Celia Darrough.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements