COLUMBIA — Extreme amounts of smoke caused neighbors at The Links at Columbia apartment complex to call the fire department at 2 a.m. Tuesday.
Fire Battalion Chief James Weaver said firefighters entered the apartment at 5028 Clark Lane and found it full of smoke. The fire was put out with a small amount of water.
Weaver said the fire was caused by cardboard boxes left on top of a stove. The stove was accidentally switched on without the tenant's knowledge. The tenants were in the process of moving and were not home at the time.
Damage has been estimated at $10,000, with no injuries reported. Three quints, a ladder truck, a squad and two chief officers all responded to the call. Weaver said this is standard protocol for a structure fire.
The fire was controlled and doused within a matter of minutes. Smoking alarms were sounding in the apartment when firefighters arrived.
The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives. The department will provide smoke alarms for free to residents who cannot afford to buy them. To get free smoke alarms installed, call 874-7556.
Supervising editor is Celia Darrough.