Move-in delayed for residents at Brookside on College

Thursday, August 2, 2012 | 8:07 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — Residents at Brookside on College will have to wait until the Aug. 18, two days before the start of MU classes, to move into their apartments. 

The complex, which was under construction, was heavily damaged in a fire on May 27..

Email to Brookside on College residents

Dear Brookside on College Resident,

After meeting with our construction team, we are glad to announce that your unit will be ready for move in before the start of school. Your move-in date has been set for August 18, 2012.

Due to the change in move-in date from your original pre-fire lease, the first month's rent payment date will shift accordingly. Your first month's rent will now be charged on August 18th, and will be pro-rated to deduct the rent for the four days between the 18th and the original move-in date of August 14th.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your move-in date please do not hesitate to call customer service at 573-815-7424. As always, Brookside will keep you informed of our progress as we approach the completion date.

Thank you,

Brookside Team

Related Articles

Brookside management announced in an email to residents Wednesday that they will be able to move in four days later than expected. Only 40 percent of the units will be ready by the August move-in date, and the remaining 60 percent are scheduled to be completed by Oct. 15, according to the email. 

In the email, Brookside management wrote, "We are glad to announce that your unit will be ready for move in before the start of school."

However, the delayed move-in has inconvenienced some residents, including Paul Ruppe, a junior at MU. 

"I called them yesterday to complain," Ruppe said. "I'm an accounting major, so I have an accounting workshop the 18th and 19th. I have nowhere to stay."

Ruppe said that despite Brookside's emails, communication with the apartment complex has been poor. He said the emails were vague and did not give any details about construction delays. 

"I confirmed my lease, rather than breaking it with them," Ruppe said. "I assumed that they'd keep the original move-in date."

Katie Artemas, an MU graduate student, also was in contact with Brookside. She called Brookside in July to confirm the move-in date of Aug. 14 and was told that everything would be ready for the original move-in date. However, by the last week of July, Brookside told Artemas that she would receive an update in August.

"I wasn't too surprised, but I'm glad it'll be ready before school begins." Artemas said. 

MU sophomore Ciara O'Shea will also have to make alternate arrangements because she's scheduled to work from Aug. 15 through Aug. 18. 

"I'm a little frustrated that they told us this late. We all knew it wasn't going to be ready in time," O'Shea said.

O'Shea is thinking about staying at a hotel or a friend's house.

The new apartment complex, which is owned by Jon and Nathan Odle, was originally scheduled to be completed by August. But the fire destroyed much of the construction that has already been completed. Cleanup for the site and rebuilding began almost immediately after the fire.

Although residents had the option of terminating their leases with the apartment complex, Brookside management assured them that 40 percent of the apartments would be completed by August.

The remaining 60 percent of residents were secured housing in Hillcrest Hall, a residence hall on the Stephens College campus until their apartments are ready in October.

For the residents who will move in on Aug. 18, the complex will pro-rate the rent and deduct the four days' rent, according to the email residents received Wednesday.

Brookside refused to comment on the delayed move-in Thursday afternoon. Calls to the developers' attorney, Craig Van Matre, were not returned as of Thursday evening.

Supervising editor is Ted Hart.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.