COLUMBIA — A house fire that caused approximately $175,000 in damage to a home in south Columbia on Monday was caused by a cigarette butt tossed on the back deck.
Two people, including the homeowner, were inside, but were able to get out of the house unharmed.
The homeowner smelled smoke, and then saw flames. She called 911 and said the back porch was on fire.
Eight Boone County Fire Protection District vehicles, including four water tankers, an air truck and three fire engines responded to 6480 S. Gateview Drive at 2:46 p.m. There were also three support vehicles, an ambulance and one Columbia fire truck.
It took firefighters 20 minutes to get the fire under control and 45 minutes to put the fire out completely.
According to Lieutenant Martina Pounds, crews were able to fight the fire from below by pulling the ceiling in the upstairs bedrooms, living rooms and kitchen area. A large part of the roof was destroyed.
Supervising editor is Celia Darrough.