advertisement

UPDATE: Fire causes $175,000 in damage to south Columbia home

Monday, August 6, 2012 | 9:54 p.m. CDT; updated 2:25 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, August 7, 2012
A large house fire caused $175,000 worth of damage to a home on Gateway Drive in south Columbia on Monday. The homeowner called 911 at 2:46 p.m. and the fire was under control in 20 minutes.

COLUMBIA — A house fire that caused approximately $175,000 in damage to a home in south Columbia on Monday was caused by a cigarette butt tossed on the back deck.

Two people, including the homeowner, were inside, but were able to get out of the house unharmed.

MoreStory



Related Articles

The homeowner smelled smoke, and then saw flames. She called 911 and said the back porch was on fire.

Eight Boone County Fire Protection District vehicles, including four water tankers, an air truck and three fire engines responded to 6480 S. Gateview Drive at 2:46 p.m. There were also three support vehicles, an ambulance and one Columbia fire truck.

It took firefighters 20 minutes to get the fire under control and 45 minutes to put the fire out completely.

According to Lieutenant Martina Pounds, crews were able to fight the fire from below by pulling the ceiling in the upstairs bedrooms, living rooms and kitchen area. A large part of the roof was destroyed.

Supervising editor is Celia Darrough.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements