COLUMBIA — A small fire damaged a house at 111 Fyfer Place on Tuesday evening.
Firefighters were alerted to the incident at 8:56 p.m., according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department. When they arrived, firefighters discovered light smoke coming from the back of the house. A small fire was found in a bedroom. The fire was contained to this room and was extinguished within minutes.
Four people were home at the time — two adults and two children. One adult was taken to University Hospital for burns to an extremity, and one child was transported for smoke inhalation.
According to Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer, the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction of musical equipment. The damage is estimated at $15,000.
Supervising editor is Ann Elise Taylor.