COLUMBIA — The fire that caused $15,000 worth of damage to a home at 111 Fyfer Place on Tuesday was caused by a musical keyboard that malfunctioned.
The keyboard was plugged in, but no one was using it, Columbia Fire Department Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer said.
Firefighters were alerted to the incident at 8:56 p.m., according to a news release from the Fire Department. When they arrived, firefighters discovered light smoke coming from the back of the house. A fire was found in a bedroom and was contained to that room. The fire was quickly extinguished, according to the release.
Four people were home at the time — two adults and two children. One adult was taken to University Hospital for minor burns received while trying to put out the fire, and one child was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to the release. Both were released soon after.
Supervising editor is Celia Darrough.