COLUMBIA — Firefighters contained a small kitchen fire Sunday afternoon at the Heather Ridge apartment complex off West Broadway.
The Columbia Fire Department sent crews to the apartment at 3:38 p.m. after a neighbor, Nawal Abdil-Majaid, called 911 after hearing the beeping of a smoke alarm through the wall.
“We were just at home watching a movie,”Abdil-Majaid said, who quickly phoned for help after hearing the alarm and smelling smoke.
No one was home at the apartment at the time.
Crews found the fire in the kitchen area when they arrived and within seven minutes they contained it to the kitchen and part of the living room. Both fire and smoke damage remained inside the apartment, Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer said.
Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn McCollom determined that unattended cooking caused the fire.
“It goes without saying smoke detectors save lives, this is a good example of how working smoke detectors provided early detection,” Fraizer said.
The preliminary damage estimate is $12,ooo.
Supervising editor is Dan Burley.