UPDATE: Fourth Avenue shooting victim identified

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 | 9:09 p.m. CDT; updated 1:08 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Officer Scott Lenger of the Columbia Police Department speaks on his radio as a vehicle with bullet holes is towed from the scene of a shooting Tuesday afternoon on Fourth Avenue* near Garth Avenue. Police report one victim in the shooting while the suspect is at large.

UPDATE: This story has been updated to include the victim's name and age, along with more details about the shooting.
*An earlier version of this article misstated the type of vehicle.

COLUMBIA — The man shot Tuesday afternoon in central Columbia was identified as Marlon Dion Jordan, 32.

Jordan was shot in the upper body and was being treated at University Hospital, but his condition was not available Wednesday morning.

Police said gunfire entered through the back window of an Infiniti M45* and injured the driver. The car was going west on Fourth Avenue between Providence Road and Garth Avenue, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department.

Police described the shooter's car as an older model with a gold color, tinted windows and four doors.

Darrell Foster, who lives nearby, said the car was a late-model Nissan and that it sped away at a very high speed after the shots were fired.

At least three shots were fired, said Victoria O'Donnell, who lives on Fourth Avenue and described hearing "three pops" and then the sound of a car speeding off.

"It was pretty frightening hearing gunshots in the middle of the afternoon like that," she said. "But I was very happy with Columbia PD and how they answered the call."

Karen Baxter, a resident of the neighborhood, said she saw the shooter’s car turn left onto King Street.

Baxter also said the victim’s car kept moving westward on Fourth Avenue for approximately one block before the victim stopped his vehicle.

Ben Tilley, principal of nearby Ridgeway Elementary School, sent parents an email late Tuesday afternoon that said school officials were asked to lock down the school at approximately 3:20 p.m. by Columbia Public Schools safety officers.

"At 3:40 we were given the all clear from our Central Office Administrators. At that time we began the process of school dismissal. At no time were our students in danger," Tilley wrote.

— Reporters Keith Reid-Cleveland and Sky Chadde contributed to this report.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Richard Saunders August 22, 2012 | 3:18 p.m.

Let's see... CPD has issues with witnesses coming forward after shootings, yet the Missourian prints their names when they do.

Meanwhile, the shooter is still at large and knows who can identify him, and has little left to lose by going after them.

So much for responsible journalism.

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.