advertisement

Forecasts say Isaac might rain down on Columbia this weekend

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 | 7:50 p.m. CDT; updated 11:55 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, August 28, 2012

COLUMBIA – Confidence continues to build that tropical system Isaac will track across the region and bring heavy rainfall to the Columbia area Friday and Saturday.

In a special statement issued at 3 p.m. Tuesday, the National Weather Service said "weekend rainfall totals of 2 to 4 inches are possible with locally higher amounts."

According to the statement: "The rain may be heavy at times Friday night and Saturday as the center of the tropical system moves northeast across Missouri and Illinois."

The weather service is projecting a 50 percent chance of rain Friday, 70 percent chance Friday night, 60 percent chance Saturday and 40 percent chance Saturday night.

Scott Truett, who works in the St. Louis office of the weather service, said that in order to make a dent in the drought, rainfall would need to reach 9 to 15 inches over the next few weeks.

In spite of the drought, Truett said the system could bring enough rain to cause rises in streams and rivers during the Labor Day weekend, and he said campers and others should be aware of changing conditions.

Supervising editor is John Schneller.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements