advertisement

Garage fire started by candle causes $25,000 in damage

Saturday, September 8, 2012 | 1:57 p.m. CDT; updated 3:45 p.m. CDT, Saturday, September 8, 2012
Columbia firefighters look through items cleared out of a garage that caught fire Saturday morning. The damage to the house at 3209 Crawford St. was limited to the garage and attic above it.

COLUMBIA — A garage fire sparked by a candle caused $25,000 in damage Saturday morning. 

Firefighters from the Columbia Fire Department arrived at 3209 Crawford St. shortly before 8:30 a.m. with three fire engines, a ladder truck and a rescue squad, Captain John Metz of the Fire Department said.

The firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the closed garage door. Firefighters  contained the blaze in about 10 minutes, according to a news release.

The home had been without power since Friday evening when a thunderstorm caused a tree limb to fall on the power lines leading to the house, said Yaseen Adam, who lives in the home.

Adam, 17, said he was asleep when the fire started Saturday morning.

"My mom came down and woke me up and told me to get out of the house," he said.

Amy Christianson, who lives next door, said Adam's mother came over Saturday and asked to charge her cell phone because her power was still out.

"She came back about 10 minutes later and said, 'My house is on fire,'" Christianson said.

Smoke alarms were present in the home, but because the fire was contained to the garage, smoke did not reach the alarms, Metz said.

The fire damaged the garage and the attic above it, and the adjoining kitchen and basement had moderate water damage, according to a news release.

No one was injured in the fire.

Metz said the home is inhabitable, but Adam said he thought the family might relocate until their power is restored.

"It's not a good way to start a Saturday," he said. "But hopefully, Mizzou wins tonight."

 Supervising editor is Alison Matas.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements