COLUMBIA — A Columbia man was injured in a house fire Friday night in north Columbia.
The Fire Department arrived at the home in the 1600 block of Parklawn Court shortly after 9 p.m. Friday, according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department.
Firefighters found a fire in one of the bedrooms, and smoke filled the house, according to the news release. A male victim was in the second bedroom. Paramedics transported him to University Hospital with life-threatening injuries. A female resident, found outside of the home, was also taken to University Hospital by the Columbia Police Department.
The fire was under control in less than five minutes, and firefighters brought in large fans to clear the smoke and heat from the home. Units were dispatched at 9:02 p.m. and arrived at 9:07 p.m.
Assistant Fire Marshal Brian Davison determined the cause of the fire to be an electrical malfunction in the bedroom with a preliminary estimate of $60,000 of damage.
The smoke detectors were reported to be working upon the Fire Department's arrival. No firefighters were harmed at the scene.