COLUMBIA — Nicole Dutton, the curator of the Schmidt Art Center at Southwestern Illinois College in Belleville, Ill., judged nine categories of artwork, including painting, ceramics and sculpture, for the Boone County Art Show on Sunday.
Boone County National Bank and the Columbia Art League sponsored the event. At an awards ceremony Sunday night, those in attendance voted to present the People's Choice Award to Harold Farley for his drawing, "Nightwatch." Bank representatives also announced that the painting "A Map of the Invisible" by Gladys Swan would receive the Bank Purchase Award, which is presented to the artist whose work will be added to the bank's permanent collection.
"Nightwatch" is a black and white drawing of an owl looking over its right shoulder as a full moon shines behind a few tree branches. "A Map of the Invisible" is a contemporary oil paint on paper piece with splashes of different colors against a tan background.
About 60 percent of the bank's collection is contemporary pieces of art, said Mary Wilkerson, vice president for marketing at the bank.
The 53rd annual art show featured more than 150 pieces in six different mediums. About 30 pieces of artwork from Boone County residents will be on display in the bank's lobby gallery through the end of October, Wilkerson said.
Below are the winners in the nine categories and the People's Choice Award and Bank Purchase Award winners.
- First Place: "Autumn Trees" by Hannah Ingmire
- Second Place: "On the Stairs" by Jake Johnson
- Third Place: "Nostalgia" by Lampo Leong
- First Place: "Nocturne" by Mike Sleadd
- Second Place: "Popcorn" by Dennis Murphy
- Third Place: "Floppy Hat (Marilyn)" by Mark Westhoff
Professional Other Media
- First Place: "Love You, Bye" by Diane Chappell
- Second Place: "Vapor Delinquent Guitar" by Lloyd Grotjan
- Third Place: "Act Like a Lady" by Susan Taylor Glasgow
- First Place: "McNally's" by Ember Looten
- Second Place: "The Wealthy Gleaners" by Kellie Wallace
- Third Place: "Rope of Life" by Aimee Vance
- First Place: "Nightwatch" by Harold Farley
- Second Place: "Kansas Flint Hills" by Jean Neely
- Third Place: "Long Day's End" by Molly Horak
Non-Professional Other Media
- First Place: "61" by Abby Gnagey
- Second Place: "State of the Union II" by Tootie Burns
- Third Place: "I'm Bad With Titles" by Matt Burger
- First Place: "Roman Flask" by Richard Hoeppner
- Second Place: "Touch + Go: A fusion of flight and earth" by Zachary LaHue
- Third Place: "Eau de Bois" by Tom Stauder
- First Place: "Assembly #3" by Norleen Nosri
- Second Place: "Spaghetti Jar" by Bill Wilkey
- Third Place: "Raku Amphora" by Mike Seat
- First Place: "Respected ELDER" by Rebecca Douglas
- First Place: "Sunny to Partly Cloudy" by Pam Gainor
- Second Place: "Harmony" by Amy Schomaker
- Third Place: "Lotus Pods" by Jeanne Bintzer
Bank Purchase Award
"A Map of the Invisible" by Gladys Swan
People's Choice Award
- "Nightwatch" by Harold Farley