COLUMBIA — Two shootings between 9:30 p.m. Thursday and 1 a.m. Friday were added to a recent string of similar incidents in Columbia.
The first shooting involved a man wounded in the hip while walking on Ash Street. Officers were dispatched at 9:55 p.m. Thursday to the University Hospital emergency room after the 19-year-old man was brought in by a personal vehicle, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department.
The victim was uncooperative, and said he didn’t know who had dropped him off at the hospital, according to the release.
The second shooting resulted in damage from a bullet to an SUV in north Columbia. At 12:30 a.m. Friday, officers investigating reports of gunfire found the Ford sport utility vehicle in the back parking lot of 3807 Brown Station Road.
The owner of the damaged vehicle provided no further information about the incident.
As of Friday afternoon, no suspects had been identified in either incident.
Just 24 hours earlier, police had reported another shooting. When they arrived at University Hospital shortly after noon Wednesday, they found a man who had been shot. Police reported that Beau T. Leach, 31, had been taken to the hospital by a private vehicle.
Leach later identified Justin R. Campbell, 29, as the suspect. Campbell was arrested Wednesday in Fulton on charges of first-degree assault, second-degree assault and unlawful use of a weapon.
In the last six weeks, a number of shootings have been reported in the Columbia area:
- On Sunday, Sept. 30, officers responded to reports of gunshots at Club Vogue, 912 Business Loop 70 E. One man had reported an injury and was taken to Boone Hospital Center, but no gunshot wound was found.
- On Friday, Sept. 28, officers responded to a shots fired report at Chantilly Court and White Oak Lane. Officers went to the residence just after midnight and found 10 shell casings, but no reports of injury or property damage.
- On Saturday, Sept. 22, deputies from the Boone County Sheriff’s Department found three people shot and another assaulted during a disturbance in the 5900 block of Gregory Drive, north of Columbia.
- On Tuesday, Sept. 11, the Columbia Police Department reported five to eight gunshots fired at about 9:50 p.m. in the area of 2900 Leeway Drive. A witness reported a man in the street firing a handgun in the air.
- On Saturday, Sept. 8, Columbia police responded to a robbery involving a gun around 10:30 p.m., as well as a report of shots fired at the Waffle House parking lot, 904 Rangeline St. A vehicle was damaged at the Waffle House, police reported, but there were no injuries.