Rock Bridge boys soccer team defeats Whitfield

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 | 10:56 p.m. CDT; updated 11:23 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Rock Bridge player Tarnue Tyler runs with the ball during the soccer game against Whitfield High School on Wednesday at Rock Bridge High School. Rock Bridge won the game with the final score of 2-0.

COLUMBIA — Rock Bridge boys soccer coach Alex Nichols usually paces the sidelines calling out orders. Wednesday night, in the Bruins' 2-0 victory over visiting Whitfield, he was leaning back on the Bruins bench and had his feet crossed.

Before the game, Nichols told his team pregame that he wanted them to forget about the opponent and to just focus on improving as a team and holding each other accountable.


Related Media

This was Rock Bridge's last regular season home game and last competition before the Class 3, District 9 tournament, but it was the Bruins’ reserve squad that were the ones yelling out the assignments.

“I was relaxed, but the team was very focused,” Nichols said.

Rock Bridge (17-7-1) contained the ball for most of the first half, but was not able to score any goals. The Bruins and the Warriors were scoreless at halftime.

Despite not having any goals, the Bruins had many chances. Nichols attributed the scoring opportunities to an aggressive playing style.

“The idea is to be as dangerous as possible for as much as possible, and the ball will eventually go in,” Nichols said.

He said at least seven shots hit the post during the game.

The Bruins efforts paid off with 16 minutes left to play in the second half. Rock Bridge’s Cooper Smith kicked the ball off the crossbar and Tarnue Tyler rebounded the ricochet and kicked the ball into a small window between the goalkeeper and the post. Tyler celebrated by pulling his shirt over his head and flexing his biceps.

Rock Bridge did not wear their normal dark jerseys for the game because they were too similar to Whitfield’s green shirts. Tyler, who usually wears No. 25, could not find his light jersey and wore No. 26.  Wearing that number, he scored his 26th goal of the season.

Tyler’s goal came minutes after he was fouled hard from behind on a tackle that left him with a bruised ankle.

“My ankle was really bothering me, but I knew we had to get a goal to guarantee the win,” Tyler said.

Five minutes later, Rock Bridge’s striker and captain Ryan Stanowski connected on a shot that banged off the crossbar and fell into the goal. This was most likely Stanowski’s final chance to play in front of a Rock Bridge home crowd.

“It will be something I will remember forever,” Stanowski said.

Supervising editor is Grant Hodder.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.