*CORRECTION: Darin Preis served on the Columbia School Board from 2005 to 2008. An earlier version of this article listed incorrect years for his service.
COLUMBIA — The Columbia School Board will meet at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday to interview candidates interested in filling the unexpired term of Paul Cushing, whose resignation took effect Oct. 1. After the interviews, the board is scheduled to vote on a replacement.
The meeting is open to the public.
- Donna Buchert: All four of her children are graduates of Columbia Public Schools, and she volunteered at each school her children attended.
- Rex Cone: Recently ran for the same position that Cushing filled earlier this year.
- William Kinney: Professor at the MU School of Medicine and a small business owner.
- Brianna Lennon: As a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters, she visited weekly with a student at West Boulevard Elementary.
- Tim Parshall: Director of MU's Fellowships Office.
- *Darin Preis: Served on the school board for one term, from 2005 to 2008.
- Vickie Rorvig: Recent retiree after 21 years of teaching elementary school.
- Bill Tackett: Associate professor of criminal justice at Lincoln University in Jefferson City and former assistant prosecuting attorney.
The selected applicant will hold the position until April 2013, when a school board election is scheduled. If the person appointed to replace Cushing is a candidate and wins that election, he or she would serve the final two years of Cushing's term. If a different person is elected, he or she would serve a full three-year term.
Supervising editor is Elizabeth Brixey.