COLUMBIA — A switchgear that burned near Walnut and William streets caused 387 homes near Stephens College to lose power around 7:10 a.m. Sunday, according to Lowell Asbury, distribution coordinator for Columbia Water and Light.
Most of the affected homes were near Broadway and College Avenue. By 8:30 a.m. Sunday, crews restored power to 320 homes. Asbury said the remaining homes without power near Walnut and Pratt streets should regain power by 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. Sunday.
Stoplights at the intersections of Broadway at College and William streets also were knocked out, but temporary stop signs were posted to control traffic. Asbury said the lights were expected to be repaired by 1:30 p.m. Sunday.