advertisement

Small fire extinguished quickly at Gates Rubber Corp.

Monday, December 3, 2012 | 2:17 p.m. CST; updated 5:26 p.m. CST, Monday, December 3, 2012
Columbia firefighters place fire hoses back into the firetruck outside of Gates Rubber Corp. on Lemone Industrial Boulevard on Monday afternoon. According to Battalion Chief James Weaver, the fire began in a cord dryer, a machine used in the factory process, in the middle of the building. Weaver said there was no structural damage.

This story has been updated include a damage estimate.

COLUMBIA — Firefighters contained a small fire in one of the cord dryers used in the belt-making process at the Gates Rubber Corp. in southeast Columbia on Monday afternoon.

The fire was contained to the machine and didn't damage any other structures, said Battalion Chief James Weaver of the Columbia Fire Department.

Employees of the company attempted to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher but were unable to do so, Weaver said. That's when they called the Fire Department.

Weaver said 60 to 70 people were evacuated from the building. No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $5,000.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements