COLUMBIA — Improperly discarded smoking materials were the cause of a fire at Creekwood Estates Senior Living, 3501 Clark Lane, lot 73, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release.
The occupant of the residence called emergency services around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Columbia Fire Marshal Brad Fraizer said. Five fire trucks were dispatched to the scene.
Crews performed an "aggressive fire attack" and put out the fire in 12 minutes, according to the release.
The fire was contained primarily to the back bedroom and bathroom in the northeast corner of the home. There were no working smoke alarms in the home, according to the release.
The occupant reported smoke irritation to her eyes. She was treated on-site by ambulance personnel, Fraizer said.
The Columbia Fire Department stayed on the scene for an additional hour performing safety checks and removing burned drywall and charred insulation, according to the release.
Columbia Fire Investigator Lt. Lisa Todd estimated the damage to the home at $30,000.
Supervising editor is Emilie Stigliani.