Unattended cooking causes grease fire

Thursday, December 27, 2012 | 1:38 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA — Firefighters say unattended cooking was the cause of a grease fire that resulted in about $10,000 in damages to an apartment in east Columbia on Wednesday night.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to the fire at about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night at 1600 Hanover Blvd., Unit 4D in the Hanover Village Apartments.

Firefighters encountered smoke and fire upon entering the kitchen. The fire was contained in the kitchen and controlled quickly, a Fire Department news release said.

Three fire engines, a ladder unit and a rescue squad unit responded to the scene, the release said. There were several working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the incident, and no one was injured.

Supervising editor is Zach Murdock.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.