You are viewing the print version of this article. Click here to view the full version.
Columbia Missourian

Unattended cooking causes grease fire

By Lindsey Miller
December 27, 2012 | 1:38 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA — Firefighters say unattended cooking was the cause of a grease fire that resulted in about $10,000 in damages to an apartment in east Columbia on Wednesday night.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to the fire at about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night at 1600 Hanover Blvd., Unit 4D in the Hanover Village Apartments.

Firefighters encountered smoke and fire upon entering the kitchen. The fire was contained in the kitchen and controlled quickly, a Fire Department news release said.

Three fire engines, a ladder unit and a rescue squad unit responded to the scene, the release said. There were several working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the incident, and no one was injured.

Supervising editor is Zach Murdock.