COLUMBIA — Boone County Fire Protection District crews returned to a home near Harrisburg on Saturday afternoon after reports of smoke coming from the site.
The smoke, caused by a smoldering pile of clothes inside the house, was put out by firefighters, Boone County Fire Protection District Chief Gale Blomenkamp said.
“Crews laddered the window and put water on the pile of clothes and that was it,” Blomenkamp said. “There was no actual fire, just smoke.”
The house, which is near the intersection of Route J and West Richland School Road, was destroyed Wednesday after a fire started in the basement.
Blomenkamp said it's common that firefighters aren't able to get inside a structure in total loss circumstances to check for any smoldering piles of debris. He said investigators checked on the property after the fire Wednesday and again on Thursday.
Michael Bopp, the owner of the home, and his 10-year-old son were not home during the fire Wednesday. Blomenkamp said the home is insured.
Supervising editor is Zach Murdock.