advertisement

Vandiver Drive apartment complex evacuated after gas leak

Friday, February 1, 2013 | 7:48 p.m. CST; updated 7:05 p.m. CST, Saturday, February 2, 2013

COLUMBIA — An apartment complex at 1211 Vandiver Drive was evacuated for about three hours after a gas leak Friday afternoon.

Battalion Chief James Weaver of the Columbia Fire Department said a resident was cleaning his kitchen when the gas line to his stove broke. Gas quickly spread through his apartment and the rest of the complex.

A fire crew arrived shortly after 3 p.m. and shut off the gas to the complex. Residents waited in a bus provided by the fire department until it was safe to reenter.

Gas, water and heat were restored to the building by 7 p.m., Weaver said. No one was injured.

Supervising editor is Simina Mistreanu.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements