COLUMBIA — A parvovirus infection broke out among a group of dogs at the Central Missouri Humane Society and was discovered late Saturday night, according to the society's Facebook page.
Because of the disinfecting process, the society had to throw away many towels, training leashes and toys as well as use several bottles of bleach.
Items the Central Missouri Humane Society needs:
- fleece blankets
- 40-gallon containers
- brooms, dust pans
- poop scoopers
- all sizes of harnesses
- dog and cat toys
- laundry baskets
For a more detailed list, visit the Humane Society's Amazon wish list.
"We believe we did a very aggressive disinfectant; we threw out tools, blankets, toys, laundry baskets, trash cans," said Mary Pat Boatfield, the executive director at the Humane Society.
Humane Society employees created an Amazon page with a list of items they hope to have donated; they're also asking for bleach. Anyone looking to donate can either buy from the society's Amazon wish list, which will then be delivered to the society, or bring the items directly to the society.
Boatfield said that they vaccinate all new dogs that come to their facility, so they think the virus came from a dog who was already infected before arriving at the Humane Society.
The Facebook page also said that a dog that had attended the Treats Unleashed event Saturday was infected with the virus, so any dogs in attendance should get tested.
The society closed Monday and Tuesday for cleaning and was expected to reopen Wednesday. The Fur Ball adoption event from noon to 5 p.m. this Saturday was expected to occur as planned.
Boatfield wanted to encourage dog owners to bring their dogs to the vet to make sure their vaccinations are up to date, as other shelters in the state have been affected as well. She said the parvovirus is hard to treat and can lie dormant for up to 14 days.
Supervising editor is Emilie Stigliani.