Last-minute mistakes lead to Missouri men's basketball loss to Arkansas

Saturday, February 16, 2013 | 5:38 p.m. CST; updated 10:46 p.m. CST, Monday, February 18, 2013
Despite holding a 4-point lead in the final minute, Missouri came up short Saturday against Arkansas, losing 73-71.

Late close games on the road usually spell trouble for the Missouri men's basketball team.

Last-minute mistakes doomed Missouri in the 73-71 loss to Arkansas on Saturday afternoon at Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Ark.

The Tigers started off hot against the Razorbacks, coached by former Missouri coach Mike Anderson, going on a 12-3 run after tipoff. Missouri led at the half 33-29.

It did not look like Missouri's usual slow starts on the road in the opening minutes.

But the Razorbacks fought back in the physical game. Arkansas pulled ahead by as many as eight points in the second half.

Missouri and Arkansas both fought hard in the paint. Missouri forward Laurence Bowers and Arkansas forward Michael Qualls roughed each other up trying to jockey for better interior position, resulting in a double foul.

Bowers did not shoot well all afternoon, going 1-for-10 for only two points.

Missouri caught up with 4:03 to go in the game.

Down 63-60, guard Jabari Brown lobbed a pass to a wide-open guard Earnest Ross. Ross fielded the high pass, repositioned his body and made a 3-pointer to tie the game 63-63.

Then the mistakes piled up for Missouri. The Tigers missed free throws, turned the ball over and got into foul trouble.

"A lot of things didn't go our way at the end," Missouri coach Frank Haith said in a radio interview after the game. "It was just a tough game."

With 0:34 to go in the game, Missouri was still up 70-66, but Arkansas guard BJ Young battled past the deficit. Young was fouled by guard Keion Bell on a successful layup and made the ensuing free-throw.

Young had 18 points in the game. Arkansas forward, Marshawn Powell had 24.

Brown missed one of two free throws on the next Missouri possession, and Young had the same play again, making a layup while being fouled by Bell, putting Arkansas up 72-71.

Bell, who led Missouri with 25 points, fouled out on the play.

Point guard Phil Pressey lost the ball on an inbound and Missouri had to foul in the last five seconds of the game. Young made a free throw putting Arkansas up 73-71 and Brown missed a buzzer-beating 3-point shot.

Missouri only shot 39.7 percent from the field the afternoon.

The challenges won't end for the Tigers when they return Tuesday to Mizzou Arena. Missouri plays No. 7 Florida at 8 p.m. Tuesday in an arena where it is undefeated this season.

Supervising editor is Greg Bowers

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.