Attorney: Permit sought before Kansas City restaurant blast
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 | 3:47 p.m. CST;
updated 4:25 p.m. CST, Wednesday, February 27, 2013
KANSAS CITY — A subcontractor suspected of rupturing a natural gas line before a deadly Kansas City restaurant explosion says it applied for an excavation permit, although the city says one was never granted.
The Kansas City Star reports that Brad Russell, an attorney for Heartland Midwest, released a photocopied application for a permit Wednesday. He didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press.
A Missouri Gas Energy official said previously that Heartland Midwest reported hitting a natural gas line with an underground borer more than an hour before last week's explosion. The blast and ensuing fire leveled JJ's restaurant near the Country Club Plaza. One person was killed and 15 others were injured.
City officials said Monday that Heartland sought permission the day after the blast.
Like what you see here? Become a member.
Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.
You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.
Leave a comment
Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines
outlined below and register with our site.
You must be logged in to comment. (Our
full comment policy is here.)
- Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
- Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or
discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
- Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will
be published with every comment.
(Read why we ask for that here.)
- Don’t solicit or promote businesses.
We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see
something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.
You must be logged in to comment.