advertisement

Report: Gas vapors caused Kansas City restaurant fire

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 | 6:29 p.m. CDT

KANSAS CITY — Federal and local officials say a fatal explosion and fire at a Kansas City restaurant last month were sparked by natural gas vapors in the restaurant.

The Kansas City Fire Department and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive said Wednesday the cause of the Feb. 19 blast at JJ's restaurant was the "accidental ignition of natural gas vapors that accumulated" inside the restaurant.

The explosion and fire injured 16 people and killed a 46-year-old woman who worked at the restaurant near the Country Club Plaza.

The Missouri Public Service Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are conducting a separate investigation into the cause of the natural gas line break near JJ's.

 


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements