CoMo You Know, a community wiki, adds context to stories of local interest and serves as a reference tool for readers.
The Daniel Boone City Building has also been known as the Daniel Boone Tavern and Daniel Boone County-City Building since first opening Sept. 1, 1917. The Daniel Boone Tavern initially served as a hotel before it was purchased in 1972 to serve as the official county and city office. It is in the final stages of a three-phase, $26 million renovation.
Address: 701 E. Broadway
What is now the Daniel Boone City Building was once known as the Daniel Boone Tavern, a hotel and informal community center. The Daniel Boone Tavern opened Sept. 1, 1917. Constructing the building cost $135,000.
Over the years, the hotel saw famous guests such as Harry Truman and Eleanor Roosevelt.
After successfully functioning as a hotel for more than 50 years, the building was purchased by both the city and the county on Feb. 22, 1972, and became the Daniel Boone County-City Building.
The county offices moved out of the Daniel Boone Building about 15 years ago and are now housed in the Boone County Government Center at 801 E. Walnut St.
Today, the Daniel Boone Building is in the midst of a three-phase, $26 million renovation. Phase one of the project was completed in March 2008. That phase included offices for treasury management and utility services. Phase two, which included a five-story addition to the east side of the building, was completed in early 2010. The old City Council chambers were decommissioned Feb. 15, 2010, and the council moved to its new, first-floor chambers. The interior of the original building will be redone during phase three. That work is expected to take a year to finish.
Links and sources
Updated: March 20, 2013