What you need to know before you go the polls on Tuesday

Saturday, March 30, 2013 | 6:00 a.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — Columbia and Boone County voters will head to the polls on Tuesday to elect representatives to city and town councils, to choose school board members and to decide the fate of ballot issues.

In Columbia, voters will elect a mayor, fill the Third and Fourth ward seats on the Columbia City Council and cast ballots on a charter amendment that would prevent the city from using eminent domain to transfer property for private redevelopment.

There will be no school board election in the Columbia Public Schools district because the three incumbents, Jan Mees, Jim Whitt and Darin Preis, are unopposed.

Voters across the county will either approve or reject a three-eighths-cent sales tax for 911 and emergency management facilities and operations.

Here's what voters need to know before they go to the polls:

Who is eligible to vote? Anyone who is a U.S. citizen, a resident of Boone County, at least 18 years old and is not serving any felony sentences is eligible to vote. But, you must have registered by March 6.

Where do I vote? You can visit the website of Boone County Clerk Wendy Noren to either search for your polling place or find a complete list of all the county's polling places. The clerk's office also has mailed sample ballots and polling place notices to all registered voters in the county.

When do I vote? The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Will I need identification? Yes. You can use any of these forms:

  • A voter ID card from Boone County
  • A driver’s license (Missouri or other states)
  • An ID issued by a state agency
  • An ID issued by an institution of higher education (university, college, vocational and technical school) located within Missouri
  • A passport, Social Security card, Medicaid or Medicare card or other identification issued by the federal government
  • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that contains your name and address

What if I've moved since the last election? You'll need to notify the clerk's office that you have changed your address. You can either do that on the clerk's website or at the clerk's office at the Roger B. Wilson Boone County Government Center, 801 E. Walnut St.

Where do I go for more information? Call the Voter Registration Office at 573-886-4375 or the Voter Information Hotline at 573-875-8683.

Supervising editor is Scott Swafford.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.