For one autumn weekend in every year since 1977, Columbia has gone back in time with its Heritage Festival and Craft Show. The festival, held in Nifong Park, includes traditional-style tradesmen and artisans, cowboys, explorers, food, crafts and youth activities. Visitors can learn about life in the mid-19th century by strolling through an 1859 town and seeing exhibits in the Walter’s Boone County Historical Museum.
The Columbia Parks & Recreation Department sponsors the festival and has since its creation.
Heritage Festival is held every year at Nifong Park.
Links and sources
- Preparations for annual Heritage Festival this weekend
- Thousands flock to opening day of Heritage Festival
- Vox magazine profile of blacksmith
- Watch a video of the hands-on history lessons at the Heritage Festival
- MU professor to play mbira at Heritage Festival
- Artists and performers bring local culture to festivalgoers
Updated: April 3, 2013