UPDATE: Ash Street apartment fire causes estimated $450,000 in damage

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 | 7:10 p.m. CDT; updated 10:17 a.m. CDT, Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Firefighters put out a two alarm fire Tuesday at the Ash Street Place Apartments on Buckner Street off Stadium Boulevard.

COLUMBIA — Residents dotted the grassy areas of the Ash Street Place Apartments in a smoky haze early Tuesday afternoon, watching as firefighters on three cranes sprayed down the north and south sides of building 103.

Resident Brenda Winchester walked through the parking lot gate to join her neighbors after rushing from work with one thing on her mind: Were her cats, Annie and Caroline, going to be OK?

"I heard about it (the fire) while at work from my supervisor, and I left to come see," Winchester said.

Columbia Fire Department crews were dispatched at 11:33 a.m. to the apartments, on Buckner Street off Stadium Boulevard, to a third-floor fire in the center of building 103.

There were no injuries and several cats were safely removed, according to a news release from Fire Marshal Brad Fraizer on Tuesday evening. It was unclear if those cats included Winchester's.

"The main thing is that everyone is accounted for," Fraizer said at the scene of the fire.

Columbia Assistant Fire Marshal Lt. Brent Davison determined that the fire started after a bathroom lighting fixture malfunctioned.

Fire was first spotted on the south side of the three-story building's roof and could be seen from the nearby Crossroads West Shopping Center. Firefighters struck a second alarm for more help.

Seven fire trucks, one ladder truck, a rescue squad and other support vehicles responded.

"We were able to attack it from inside and outside to keep it contained," Fraizer said.

The fire was kept to the center of the third floor but affected several apartments near the source apartment, Fraizer said. It also spread upward, damaging the roof. Many of the apartments have smoke and water damage.

Firefighters remained on the scene for more than five hours.

Six apartments were damaged heavily according to the news release. The damage to the building and contents was estimated at $450,000.

The 66-unit building remained uninhabitable Tuesday evening. A more thorough investigation will take place Wednesday to determine if any part of the building can be reoccupied.

The Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter responded to the fire to assist residents. The Broadway Christian Church, 2601 W. Broadway, will serve as a shelter Tuesday night.

Supervising editor is Elizabeth Brixey.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Joy Mayer April 10, 2013 | 9:21 a.m.

Thanks to reader Colin Hope for sending us photos he took after at the scene of the fire. You can find them on our Facebook page here:

If you are a witness to news around Columbia, we hope you'll let us know, and share pictures if you have them. Post photos or news tips to our Facebook wall, tweet them to @CoMissourian, email or call 882-5720.

Thanks, Colin!

Joy Mayer, Columbia Missourian

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.