COLUMBIA — Several Boone County roads were shut down Thursday morning due to flooding.
The following roads were closed:
- Blackfoot Road at Bear Creek.
- Driskel Road at its intersection with Route E.
- Route Y at Cedar Creek.
- Route ZZ at its intersection with I-70 Drive Southwest.
- Wilcox Road at its intersection with Route E.
- Route E at Twin Bridges.
- St. Charles Road at its intersection with Doziers Station Road.
- The 200 block of South Henry Clay Boulevard.
- Old Plank Road at its intersection with Forum Boulevard.
Public Safety Joint Communications will update its list of road closures throughout the day. The list of road closures due to flooding can be found here.
The Boone County Sheriff's Department is monitoring roads as officers make patrols, Chief Deputy Tom Reddin said.
"As more rain continues to fall, we will continue to patrol and look for roads covered by rainwater," Reddin said. "We know the roads that typically flood, and we are keeping a close eye on them."
Drivers should be cautious and avoid driving through flooded roads, Reddin said.
"That is an extremely hazardous activity," he said.
A news release from Public Safety Joint Communications offered the following tips:
- As little as six inches of water can lift a vehicle off the road.
- Do not try to drive across a roadway covered with water because it's hard to tell how deep the water is.
- Do not try to walk across a road covered with water because the force of the water may not be evident.
Supervising editor is Richard Webner.