*CORRECTION: The Fire Department spokesman is Brad Fraizer. An earlier version misspelled his last name.
COLUMBIA — There was more smoke than usual.
The barbecue pit room at Buckingham Smokehouse Bar-B-Q caught on fire Monday afternoon. No one was injured.
The fire was contained to the brick room, though smoke was seen inside the adjoining restaurant. The Columbia Fire Department arrived at 4:03 p.m. after receiving a call from a restaurant employee at 3:57 p.m.
Fire Department spokesman Brad Fraizer said the fire likely started in the meat smoker, though official cause was yet to be determined. An investigation is pending. The firefighters put out the fire within five minutes. There was heat damage to some ceiling components that connect the brick pit room to the restaurant, *Fraizer said.
Owner Mark Brown declined comment through his employees immediately following the fire, but within an hour of the blaze he had already changed the restaurant's answering machine message with an update on the situation.
"We have had a fire," the message said. "Our pit has burnt up this afternoon ... we will be closed for the next two or three days."