advertisement

Grease fire at apartment complex injures two

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 | 8:31 p.m. CDT; updated 8:36 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, May 1, 2013

COLUMBIA — Two adults sustained grease burns after a pan of hot cooking oil caught fire Wednesday in an apartment in east Columbia.

The Columbia Police Department received a call at about 4:30 p.m. that a stovetop fire had occurred in Apt. 2F at the Columbia Crossing Apartments at 2302 Whitegate Drive, according to a news release. Firefighters arrived at 4:40 p.m. and extinguished the fire.

The occupants, one male and one female, were injured by splattering grease as they tried to carry the pan outside, according to the release. Boone Hospital Center ambulance personnel treated the occupants.

The fire damaged the stove, range hood, walls surrounding the stove and two kitchen cabinets. Damage costs are estimated at $3,000, the release said. Mills Properties, which owns the Columbia Crossing Apartments, requires tenants to have renter's insurance.

The apartment, which had working smoke alarms, is habitable. No pets were injured.

Supervising editor is Zach Murdock.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements