COLUMBIA — Two adults sustained grease burns after a pan of hot cooking oil caught fire Wednesday in an apartment in east Columbia.
The Columbia Police Department received a call at about 4:30 p.m. that a stovetop fire had occurred in Apt. 2F at the Columbia Crossing Apartments at 2302 Whitegate Drive, according to a news release. Firefighters arrived at 4:40 p.m. and extinguished the fire.
The occupants, one male and one female, were injured by splattering grease as they tried to carry the pan outside, according to the release. Boone Hospital Center ambulance personnel treated the occupants.
The fire damaged the stove, range hood, walls surrounding the stove and two kitchen cabinets. Damage costs are estimated at $3,000, the release said. Mills Properties, which owns the Columbia Crossing Apartments, requires tenants to have renter's insurance.
The apartment, which had working smoke alarms, is habitable. No pets were injured.
Supervising editor is Zach Murdock.