COLUMBIA — MU will award 5,902 degrees on graduation weekend, beginning May 17 through May 19.
The degrees include 4,218 bachelor’s degrees, 1,043 master’s degrees, 278 doctorates, 126 law degrees, 36 education specialist degrees, 99 medical degrees and 102 veterinary medicine degrees. Of those, more than 300 were earned online.
Friday, May 17
- Website: online.missouri.edu/
College of Veterinary Medicine: 1 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall
- Speaker: Jim Rhoades, head of Novartis’ Global Technical Services for mammalian vaccines
Robert J. Trulaske Sr. College of Business, 2 p.m., Hearnes Center
- Speaker: Leslie Flegel, partner and co-managing director of The Huck Group Inc.
School of Health Professions, 3:30 p.m., Mizzou Arena
- Speaker: Jim Spain, vice provost for undergraduate studies at MU
College of Engineering, 4:30 p.m., Hearnes Center
- Speaker: Raymond Kowalik, president of Energy Global Practice for Burns & McDonnell
Sinclair School of Nursing, 5:30 p.m., Jesse Hall, Jesse Auditorium
- Speaker: Dean Judith Fitzgerald Miller
School of Journalism, 6:30 p.m., Mizzou Arena
- Alumnus Speaker: Meredith Artley, managing editor and vice president of CNN Digital
Saturday, May 18
Honors Ceremony, 8:30 a.m., Mizzou Arena
- Speaker: honorary degree recipient Peter Hessler
College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, noon, Hearnes Center
- Speaker: U.S. Senator Roy Blunt
School of Medicine, 1 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall
- Speaker: Ann Havey, clinical associate professor in the Department of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences at MU
College of Education, 2:30 p.m., Mizzou Arena
- Speaker: John Wright, Missouri House of Representatives
College of Arts and Science, 4:30 p.m., Hearnes Center
- Speaker: Boone County Circuit Judge Kevin Crane
School of Natural Resources, 5:30 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall
- Speaker: Roger Still, former director of The Nature Conservancy of Missouri and former vice president of the National Audubon Society
Graduate School, 7:30 p.m., Hearnes Center
Sunday, May 19
School of Law, 1:30 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall
- Speaker: Judge Duane Benton, a federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
College of Human and Environmental Sciences, 3 p.m., Mizzou Arena
Events will begin at 1 p.m. May 17 with the College of Veterinary Medicine ceremony and will end at 3 p.m. May 19 with the College of Human and Environmental Sciences graduation, according to an MU release.
During the Honors Ceremony on May 18, MU will also award Columbia native journalist Peter Hessler an honorary degree. Hessler is known for his award-winning books on China and his contributions to the New Yorker and National Geographic.
Each school and college will hold separate ceremonies and many will invite notable guest speakers to address the graduates.
- Meredith Artley, managing editor and vice president of CNN Digital, will speak to the School of Journalism at 6:30 p.m. May 17 at Mizzou Arena.
- U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt will speak at the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources ceremony May 18.
- John Wright, from the Missouri House of Representatives, will speak at the College of Education ceremony May 18.
For more information, go to MU's Commencement website.