*CORRECTION: This article has been updated with the full name of the university.
COLUMBIA — Six MU faculty members were among those scheduled to receive awards during a banquet hosted by the University of Missouri System Board of Curators and UM System President Tim Wolfe on Thursday evening.
A news release from the UM system listed the MU and other award winners, descriptions of the awards and the reasons the recipients were chosen:
- Thomas Jefferson Award – Steven Watts: This award honors a faculty member who exemplifies Jefferson's ideals and principles and demonstrates distinctive service to UM and mankind. Watts is a professor of American history who specializes in U.S. cultural and intellectual history. He has published in top journals and his biographies of Walt Disney, Hugh Hefner and Dale Carnegie have won critical acclaim.
- C. Brice Ratchford Memorial Fellowship Award – Jerry Valentine: This award honors a faculty member who personifies the late C. Brice Ratchford, former president of the UM System and dean of Cooperative Extension. Valentine is professor emeritus in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis and served at MU for 33 years. He established himself as a premier scholar in meeting the educational leaders in grades five through nine. He developed the state's first comprehensive, performance-based teacher evaluation system.
- President's Award for Community Engagement – Wouter Montfrooij: This award honors a faculty member who is engaged in the community through volunteerism, service-learning, educational programming and outreach. Montfrooij is an associate professor of physics and founder of the Saturday Morning Science lecture series.
- President's Award for Sustained Excellence – Bahram Mashhoon: This award honors a faculty member who demonstrates and continues a record of distinguished scholarship, research or creativity for 15 or more years. Mashhoon is a professor of physics with more than 27 years at MU. He discovered spin-rotation-gravity coupling, now known as the "Mashhoon effect."
- President's Award for Economic Development – Marilyn Rantz: This award honors a faculty member for helping meet the goal of the UM System serving as an economic engine. Rantz of the Sinclair School of Nursing is a Curator's Professor and works to improve the quality of care delivered to older adults. Her research on nursing home quality has secured almost $52 million in grants and $14.8 million from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, the largest grant ever received at MU. She also worked to create TigerPlace, which grew from 31 to 54 apartments and has an 85-bed rehabilitation center. This has brought more than 140 jobs to Columbia and resulted in more than $5 million in annual payroll.
- President's Award for Intercampus Collaboration — Debra Gayer: Gayer developed an online Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program with intercampus faculty resources that allowed students to work with expert faculty on all four UM campuses without leaving their communities. Recipients from other campuses were Dawn Garzon and Susann Farberman of the University of Missouri-St. Louis and Diana King and Virginia Rahm of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Other awards and recipients included:
- Student Entrepreneur of the Year, Casey Burton, *Missouri University of Science and Technology.
- President's Award for Cross-Cultural Engagement, Rita Csapó-Sweet, University of Missouri-St. Louis.
- President's Award for Leadership, Michael Kruger, University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- President's Award for Mentoring, Wayne Huebner, *Missouri University of Science and Technology.
- President's Award for Service, Vicki Sauter, University of Missouri-St. Louis.
- President's Award for Early Career Excellence, Suzanna Long, *Missouri University of Science and Technology.
- President's Award for Innovative Teaching, Carl Hoagland, University of Missouri-St. Louis.