advertisement

MU's Engineering Building West evacuated after elevator fire

Sunday, July 21, 2013 | 5:44 p.m. CDT; updated 5:51 p.m. CDT, Sunday, July 21, 2013
Cpt. Adam Sapp, left, and firefighter Justin Berck of the Columbia Fire Department investigate a burning smell and smoke in the Electrical Engineering Laboratories on Sunday in Engineering Building West at MU. The source was determined to be burning hydraulic fluid in one of the building's elevators.

COLUMBIA — A burnt rubber and oil smell filled the air on the western edge of MU on Sunday after the hydraulic fluid in an elevator overheated and caught fire in the Engineering Building West on Sixth Street.

Five Columbia Fire Department units were sent to the scene in response about 4:30 p.m. and saw white smoke emptying onto Fifth Street from the rear of the building.

Marty Walker, the director of administrative services in the College of Engineering, said a few parts needed to be replaced in the elevator but it is structurally intact.

Computer science student Kristofferson Calmer said he was working in a lab on the second floor when he smelled smoke and was told to evacuate the building.

Division Chief Marc Wright said the situation was quickly under control and did not pose a threat to passersby.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements