COLUMBIA — Four majors at Stephens College will no longer be offered this fall, but two are making a debut.
2 new majors
1. Apparel studies. This major allows students to learn "all aspects of fashion."
2. Event and convention management. This major prepares students for the growing event-planning industry.
4 discontinued majors
1. Liberal studies. This major required two concentrations and was not housed in a specific program. While students can no longer choose this degree, a self-initiated major is still offered which tailors to students wanting to pursue interdisciplinary interests.
2. General business. New Stephens students must choose more specific strategic communications degrees of integrated marketing or graphic design.
3. Legal studies. No specific pre-law program exists at the college anymore, but students can still get other undergraduate degrees that could serve as preparation for law school.
4. Interior design. This was a major to prepare interior design students for national licensure. Stephens College officials said the major no longer aligned with the school’s mission.
Supervising editor is Jeanne Abbott.