COLUMBIA — This year Stephens College will present both stage plays and dance performances. Productions by Warehouse Theatre Company include only Stephens students. Depending on the performance, shows by Playhouse Theatre Company include faculty and some guest performers.
All performances start at 7:30 p.m. except Sunday matinees at 2 p.m. The box office number is 876-7199.
7 Playhouse Theatre Company performances (in the Macklanburg Playhouse, 100 Willis Ave.)
- "Almost, Maine," nine short plays that explore love and loss in a remote, mythical town. Sept. 13-15, 20-21
- "A Catered Affair," a musical about an elaborate wedding that strains a family's patience and finances. Oct. 18-20, 25-26
- "Inspecting Carol," a comedy about a small theater company putting on a play with an odd collection of cast members. Dec. 6-8, 11-12
- "Uncle Vanya," the Chekhov play about an elderly professor and his glamorous second wife who visit the rural estate that supports their lifestyle and his decision to sell it. Feb. 14-16, 21-22
- "A Shayna Maidel," the story of two sisters separated for 20 years who reunite after the Holocaust. March 14-16, 19-20 (Performed in Warehouse Theatre)
- "RESPECT: A Musical Journey of Women," a historical revue told in Top-40 songs from "I Will Follow Him" to "These Boots are Made for Walkin' " and "I Will Survive." May 2-4, 7-9
4 Warehouse Theatre Company performances (in the Warehouse Theatre, 104 Willis Ave.)
- "The Smell of the Kill" stages a dinner gathering of three couples that evolves into women plotting in the kitchen while their husbands watch TV. Sept. 26-29
- "The How and the Why" puts two characters together to debate the theory of evolution. Oct. 31-Nov. 3
- "Crooked," a coming-of-age comedy about a 14-year-old girl who writes violent short stories. Feb. 20-23
- "Desdemona: A Play About a Handkerchief," about the conquests of the bawdy "Othello" heroine. April 10-13
3 dance performances
- Senior Dance Concert: Nov. 15-17 in the Macklanburg Playhouse.
- Annual Dance Company Spring Concert: Feb. 28-March 2, March 7-8 in the Macklanburg Playhouse.
- New Works Dance Concert: April 25-27 in the Warehouse Theatre.
Supervising editor is Jeanne Abbott.