You are viewing the print version of this article. Click here to view the full version.
Columbia Missourian

FROM READERS: After house fire, woman gives thanks to neighbors, first responders

By Mary Jo Roberts/Missourian Reader
July 24, 2013 | 4:38 p.m. CDT

Mary Jo Roberts submitted this thank you message to the people who helped her family when there was a fire in her house. She and her mother, along with their two dogs and two cats, were unharmed by the fire, and she gives credit to their smoke alarms.

On behalf of my family, we want to thank Columbia firefighters and paramedics who responded to our house on July 14 and quickly contained a fire that started in the dishwasher, as it could have been much worse.

MoreStory



Related Articles

Also, to our "guardian angels" Barry and Pam Gainor, who were walking in front of our house before the fire department arrived. If it hadn't been for Dr. Gainor, I would have gone back inside to search for our cats while flames engulfed our curtains.

To all of our neighbors in Lakeshore Estates who came to our aid with a bed for the night and meals, we thank all of them for their kind offers of help. Their kindness truly restores one's faith in the term "neighborhood."

Sincerely,
Mary Jo Roberts

Do you have a message for the community? We hope you'll consider sharing it as part of a section of the Missourian called From Readers, which is dedicated to your voices and your stories. Here's how. Supervising editor is Joy Mayer.