A gas leak blocked a portion of University Avenue on Friday morning and caused residents of surrounding houses to evacuate.
Pedestrian and motor traffic was closed for more than two hours between College Avenue and Williams Street.
The Columbia Fire Department was called at 8:15 a.m. after workers remodeling a home at 1314 University Ave. hit a gas line. Houses nearby were evacuated as a precaution.
Ameren Missouri capped the damaged line within 30 minutes. Gas was detected in the targeted house, but adjacent homes were determined to be safe.
The street will be reopened once the house is allowed to "fan out," said Lt. Shawn McCollom, assistant fire marshal for the Columbia Fire Department.