*CORRECTION: Fort Leonard Wood has 3,600 civilian employees in the Department of Defense and the Army, most of whom were affected by the furlough. An earlier version of this article misstated the number of civilian employees in those departments and the number affected.
COLUMBIA — Many of Fort Leonard Wood's 3,600* civilian employees in the Department of Defense and the Army will return to work after a furlough caused by the federal government shutdown.
Some readers told us last week that the government shutdown wasn't affecting them immediately but that it would if it continued. Well, we've entered Week 2, and the Missourian wants to know whether it has disrupted your life. Are there websites or information that you can't access? Offices or institutions you need closed that are closed? Checks that aren't coming in the mail? In your work or in your personal life, what are the effects?
To share your story, email news@ColumbiaMissourian.com or call the newsroom at 882-5720 and ask for the editor on duty.
The civilian employees, who were furloughed on Oct. 1, will return to work on Monday or their next scheduled duty day unless their supervisor advises them otherwise, according to a news release from Fort Leonard Wood.
On Saturday, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel announced that the Pay Our Military Act allowed the Department of Defense to end furloughs for employees who contribute to the "morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members." That bill was hastily passed by Congress before the shutdown began on Oct. 1.
Hagel said that he expected the department to be able to reduce, but not eliminate, civilian furloughs under the act.
Supervising editor is Richard Webner.