Missouri Gov. Nixon backs down on food stamps changes
Thursday, October 24, 2013 | 4:04 p.m. CDT
JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon said his administration is withdrawing a proposal to roll back an expansion of the food stamps program.
Since 2009, the state has qualified for a waiver allowing able-bodied adults without children to qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program despite failing to meet federal work requirements. Officials had proposed changing eligibility rules to waive the work requirements only in counties where the unemployment rate is higher than 10 percent.
Nixon said Thursday that he is directing the state Social Services Department to withdraw the proposal. The governor said there now is greater certainty about federal funding for food stamps after last week's budget agreement.
Missouri had about 915,000 people receiving food stamps in August. That's down from a peak of nearly 962,000 in December 2011.
Like what you see here? Become a member.
Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.
You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.
Leave a comment
Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines
outlined below and register with our site.
You must be logged in to comment. (Our
full comment policy is here.)
- Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
- Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or
discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
- Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will
be published with every comment.
(Read why we ask for that here.)
- Don’t solicit or promote businesses.
We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see
something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.
You must be logged in to comment.