COLUMBIA — John Heimos had just ordered a turkey bacon club sandwich with fries and a side of honey mustard when six firefighters walked into Shiloh Bar & Grill and ordered the patrons to evacuate Friday evening.
A fan motor in a ventilation shaft had failed, causing haze, Columbia Fire Department Capt. John Metz said. The restaurant was evacuated for about 20 minutes while firefighters pinpointed the source of the smoke.
Five firetrucks and 16 firefighters were dispatched at 7:37 p.m. and arrived on the scene at 7:41 p.m., Metz said. By 8:16 p.m., they had cleared the scene.
Restaurant patrons and staff remained calm during the evacuation, chatting on the patio over their drinks, waiting to be let back in.
"It was really quite incredible," Heimos said.
Supervising editor is Allie Hinga.