Robert 'Buddy' Shaw loved hunting, worked as bricklayer

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 | 10:03 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA — Whether fishing the Missouri River for catfish or trekking through a forest with a pack of hounds on a coon chase, Robert "Buddy" Shaw loved the hunt.

"He coon hunted for many years, ever since he was a boy," said Brenda Reifschneider, his daughter. "He started with his dad and brothers."

Mr. Shaw passed the hunting experience on to his relatives.

"We were girls, he didn't think we should go, but we went," Reifschneider said. "He finally took us. It was cold, very cold that night. My mother, she packed us down with food, snacks for us to take with us, and we took out, let the dogs out, they took out running, and my cousin and I ended up getting stuck in the mud."

The night was Reifschneider's favorite memory of her father.

"It was just the excitement of it," she said. "Watching the dogs tree the coons on the tree, and then the coons being shot out. It's just the whole excitement of it."

Robert V. "Buddy" Shaw of Columbia died Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013. He was 80.

He was born Oct. 10, 1933, to Roy E. and Lennie (Merkel) Shaw. In 1951, he graduated from Hickman High School.

He married Lorene Hampton on Aug. 29, 1953.

Mr. Shaw was a member of the Bricklayers Union Local 15 for 54 years before retiring in 1995. His work as a bricklayer was a source of great passion for him, Reifschneider said.

Mr. Shaw served in the U.S. Army. He also played an active role in local civic activities. He maintained membership in the Elks Lodge, the American Legion and the Three Dollar Golf Club.

Mr. Shaw enjoyed playing and watching sports, his daughter said.

"He liked to watch football on TV," Reifschneider said. "He liked to watch NASCAR once in a while, the races. He liked golf, liked to watch golf on TV. He played golf. He was pretty much an overall fan. He didn't watch much basketball, but he liked college basketball. He liked to watch the Tigers play."

Reifschneider said her father didn't vocally express his emotions, preferring instead to express himself through his wit and banter.

"He never showed his emotions a lot, but he had a certain way of doing that," she said. "He never came out and said 'I love you,' but you always knew because he's a banterer, he loved to banter. He would just banter with us and just carry on with us and tease us. That is what's going to be missed."

She also said his presence and dependability stood out to her.

"If you needed something, you could always count on him," Reifschneider said.

Mr. Shaw is survived by four daughters, Rita Barnes and her husband, George, Brenda Reifschneider, Susie Shaw and Kathy Shaw; seven grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

His wife, Lorene Hampton Shaw; four brothers, Roy, Wesley, Jack and Alfred; and a son-in-law, Tom Reifschneider, died earlier.

Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Funeral Home, 1217 Business Loop 70 W. Services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, followed by burial at 11 a.m. at Memorial Park Cemetery.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.