COLUMBIA — Warming centers are now available throughout Columbia for those in need of shelter from the cold.
The warming centers are open during each building's normal business hours. Public areas such as lobbies, restrooms and drinking fountains are open to everyone.
Call 817-6430 for information about utility assistance programs from the Department of Health and Human Services.
Warming center locations include:
- Activity and Recreation Center, 1701 W. Ash St., 874-7700
- Armory Sports and Community Center, 701 E. Ash St., 817-5077
- Boone County Government Center, 801 E. Walnut St., 886-4305
- Columbia/Boone County Department of Public Health and Human Services, 1005 W. Worley St., 874-7488
- Columbia Public Library, 100 W. Broadway, 443-3161
- Salvation Army, 1108 W. Ash St., 442-3229
- Salvation Army Harbor House, 602 N. Ann St., 442-1984
- St. Francis House, 901 Range Line St., 875-4913
Several shelters providing sleeping accommodations are also now open. Locations include:
- New Life Evangelistic Center (for men), 901 Wilkes Blvd., 875-0603
- Rainbow House (for youth), 1611 Towne Drive, 474-3558
Salvation Army Harbor House, 602 N. Ann St., 442-1984
St. Francis House (for men), 901 Range Line St., 875-4913
- True North (for victims of domestic violence), 875-1369
- Welcome Home (for veterans), 1206 Rangeline St., 443-8001
In addition, the Department of Health and Human Services is offering utility assistance programs to those who qualify. One of the programs, H.E.L.P., provides one-time assistance to families with young children. Another, C.A.S.H., is for low-income senior citizens and people with disabilities.