COLUMBIA — A furnace malfunction at Columbia Regional Airport caused a small fire Sunday morning.
Jim Bullard, an assistant fire chief with the Southern Boone County Fire Protection District, said the call for the fire came in at 10:37 a.m. Sunday. Employees were evacuated and were back in the building within an hour. No passengers were present at the time.
"A malfunction in the furnace caused an overload of fuel," Bullard said. "It caused a fire in the flue that was contained in the flue."
He said flights from the airport will not be affected.
Supervising editor is Allie Hinga.