Neighbor bitten while trying to rescue dogs from fire

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 | 11:19 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — No one was injured by a small kitchen fire that broke out Tuesday night, but a neighbor sustained a bite while trying to rescue dogs that were in the house.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to a fire at 2904 Range Line Street shortly before 9 p.m., according to a Fire Department news release. When firefighters arrived, they found a fire in the kitchen of the residence.

Two dogs had been in the structure when the fire broke out. A neighbor was able to remove them but was bit by one of the dogs during the rescue.

No humans were inside the residence when the fire started, and it appears to have started when the occupants left items on top of the kitchen range before leaving, according to the release.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the top of the range, and it caused an estimated $500 in damage, according to the release.

Supervising editor is Edward Hart.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.