COLUMBIA — Four adults and five children escaped a burning trailer in northeast Columbia early Thursday morning, according to a Columbia Fire Department release.
Two of the people were taken to the hospital — a baby that had inhaled smoke and an adult with cuts. A second adult with cuts was treated at the scene, according to the release.
The fire was caused by a window air conditioning unit, Fire Department spokeswoman Capt. Lisa Todd said.Some occupants broke windows to escape, which caused the injuries, she said.
Personnel from the Fire Department and the Boone County Fire Protection District responded to the fire at 3:25 a.m. and found the trailer at 5301 St. Charles Road engulfed in flames.
It took crews about ten minutes to put out the fire.
The trailer had no working smoke alarms. Assistant Fire Marshal Tim Bach estimated the damage at $40,000, according to the release.